Great American Nude No. 99,  Tom Wesselmmann, 1968, oil on canvas, 206 x 152 cm

“I find sometimes I get so excited working, especially when starting new ideas; I get so excited that I get uncomfortable. It almost feels dangerous, like I’m flirting with something dangerous." -Tom Wesselmann


Tom Wesselmann was born on February 23, 1931 in Cincinnati, OH. He started his career as a cartoonist for a men’s magazine, so his transition into the bright and vibrant pop art movement was a natural progression. He is considered one of the most blatantly erotic pop artists of note.

( http://www.theartstory.org/artist-wesselmann-tom.htm )

Pop turns the normal into a brightly colored and exaggerated cartoon. Rather than taking itself seriously, it is vivid and loud.  Becoming popular in the 1950’s and 60’s, pop are took normal main stream objects and turned them into an art work.


Wesselmann took pop art to a whole new level with his series of nudes. Emphasizing certain parts of bodies rather than the whole, he still managed to turn a near cartoon into an erotic image. I chose this image for my show because it was iconic of his art. The smoking cigarette, the close up body parts and the lips all pack a beautiful punch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog