Nude Descending a Staircase (No. 2), Marcel Duchamp, 1912, Oil on canvas, 57 7/8 x 35 1/8 inches (147 x 89.2 cm) 

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own tastes." -Marcel Duchamp


Marcel Duchamp was a French cubism artist born on July 28th 1887.  He is known as a leader of the American Dada movement.  His work is well known to contain hidden innuendo and sexual humor. 

( http://www.theartstory.org/artist-duchamp-marcel.htm)

Cubism is a genre that likes to pick apart objects and attempt to display them from several viewpoints at once. It is an attempt to make an object three dimensional instead of one dimensional, all while staying on a flat page.


I included this image in my show because I thought it was important to include something from this genre of work. Cubism is less blatant than many of the other images I chose to show. I had to stare long and hard at this painting to try and make out what it was, and I’m still not sure that I see it. Do you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog